Every year Canada welcome countless visitors . These visitors may be visiting for a number of reasons under a variety of visas. The most common reasons and visa used to visit this country include:
- Tourists and family visits (single or multiple entry visas)
- Parents and grandparents (multiple entry or super visas)
- Students (IEC visa or student visas)
These visitors are not covered under Canada’s universal health care system. It means that the Government of Canada does not pay for any hospital or medical services which are used by visitors due to a medical emergency.
The Canadian government and all provinces/territories advise visitors to Canada to buy the necessary travel insurance they require while visiting.
What coverage does travel insurance provide?
Travel insurance also provides a number of additional benefits that you might not initially consider, such as:
- Emergency Evacuation: which offers assistance in the event that you need to be evacuated due to an emergency medical situation.
- AD&D: Accidental death and dismemberment insurance (AD&D) pays a lump sum amount in the event of death or dismemberment due to a covered accident. If the insured party dies, the amount will be paid to a beneficiary. In case of dismemberment (defined as a loss of limb), a fractional amount of the insurance is paid to the insured.
- Repatriation: refers to ‘return of mortal remains’. If tragedy happens while overseas and someone ends up passing away, the cost of taking the mortal remains of a loved one back to the home country can be extremely expensive. Travel insurance provides financial assistance for this.
- Personality liability: If you’re caught in a legal dispute in a foreign country, this insurance can help with the costs.
- Trip Interruption: If you have to end your trip unexpectedly, this coverage would ensure reimbursement for the covered amount for non-refundable, unused travel expenses that canceling your plans mid-trip incurs.
- Kidnap and ransom insurance: provides coverage for travelers in case they’re kidnapped or ransomed while in a foreign country. Kidnappers may request large amounts of money in exchange for their victim’s safety. Kidnap and ransom travel insurance protects businesses and their employees.